Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, December 23, 2011

Ventricles of the brain?!?!?!?!?!?!

I had another doctor's appointment and ultrasound yesterday morning. The good news is that for the most part the baby is progressing very nicely! It is approximately 5 lbs 1 oz which puts it in the 70th percentile for growth.  Baby Dakin is also about 1 week ahead in development...I am 33 weeks but the baby on average is at 34 weeks so we might be looking at an early February arrival (though if it is a boy it will not be named Tom Brady Dakin like Matthew wants.) With the ultrasound comes more pictures. I haven't had time to scan them in but I wanted to share one that was our favorite:

The baby seemed to look right into the camera though I believe it has a hand covering its left eye. So that is the first glimpse at the face of Baby Dakin!!!! The other good news is that after having lost 15 pounds when I first became pregnant I have only gained just over 5 pounds back...all baby!!!! Hopefully that will make losing the baby weight that much easier after Baby Dakin makes its appearance!

A request...at the end of the appointment I was told that I need yet another ultrasound...this time a level 2 ultrasound at the UConn Medical Center. Doctor Williams told me that the ventricles of the baby's brain are bigger than they expect them to be. First of all, who knew the brain had ventricles??? I thought I had misheard her but as it turns out:


there are ventricles located in our brain. After some research, Matt and I discovered that this problem is actually quite common and for the most part it usually doesn't lead to anything and the baby develops normally. We are hoping that it was a mismeasurement during the ultrasound because this hasn't been an issue before and most of the moms-to-be who have posted online have had theirs discovered much earlier in  their pregnancy. Nonetheless, I go in on the 30th to discover what is truly going on...just keep it in your thoughts as we hope it means nothing and that our little bundle of joy will be as happy and healthy as we hope it is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment